[systemd-devel] Just wanted to say good job on systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 27 02:09:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, 26.06.12 15:55, Phillip Potter (phil at philpotter.co.uk) wrote:

> Just wanted to say I managed to build this and get it running on my
> CLFS system with virtually no problems at all - the few problems that
> did exist were caused by my own ignorance and soon fixed. Very simple
> to use once in place as well. Good job to Lennart and all the
> developers.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

> To set my hardware clock to the system's time on shutdown, do I need
> to create a .service file or does systemd do this already? Not a
> massive deal as I have a sysv script doing it at the moment but would
> be good to know. Thanks.

So the idea here is that if NTP is enabled the kernel will sync the RTC
anyway every 11min hence doing this at shutdown is hardly necessary. And
during runtime we have little reason to believe that changing the RTC on
every shutdown does any good for its accuracy or even that the system
clock was any more accurate than the RTC. Instead, we think that if
people change the clock by hand it should be the responsibility of the
tool they use to sync the clock down into the RTC. The "timedated" bus
mechanism we include makes sure of that.

I hope this makes sense!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.