[systemd-devel] Hosting a sprint in SF?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jun 29 05:58:31 PDT 2012

On Thu, 28.06.12 16:06, David Strauss (david at davidstrauss.net) wrote:

Heya,

> My company just moved into a new office at California and Grant
> (Chinatown, near the Financial District) in San Francisco -- finally
> with enough space to host a sprint. We use systemd extensively (100+
> production Fedora instances) and would like to host a sprint at our
> office. My personal goal is "journald everywhere," but I would be
> happy to see better systemd support in other areas.

Oh, this is awesome! Much appreciated!

> I can almost certainly sponsor travel for some people with a history
> of contributing to systemd/low-level Linux or projects/languages we'd
> like to support.

Neat!

> Namely, it would be great to work on the following:
>
>  * journald logging libraries for every major language. Python and PHP
> are deep into being kicked off. Java, Ruby, and node.js are next on my
> list.
>  * Once a language has journald support, build application-level
> integration. For example, Drupal's watchdog could go field-for-field
> into journald. Jenkins could have a plugin for build and
> administration logs. Twisted's log facility could send to journald.
>  * Tools to automatically ship journald logs off to systems like
> Graylog2 and Flume. This is possible now in the
> lowest-common-denominator of syslog, but we could be preserving
> fields.
>  * Documentation and examples for the native journald APIs

I am currently working myself through the documentation "backlog". I
already documented logind now in its entirety and the documentation of
PID 1's bus APIs are already showing up in the Wiki. The journal docs
are going to be next ones, unless somebody beats me to them ;-)

>  * Documented deployment strategies for recording append-only logs of
> the hash chains
>  * Other suggestions?
>
> I also have some general systemd goals:
>
>  * Better support and documentation for services running with systemd
> doing the daemonization and privilege dropping

>  * Adding application support for socket inheritance (as we sponsored
> for Twisted)

This all looks really cool!

> I'd like to feel out people's interest and travel schedules in this
> thread. With a week of time from the right people, we could kick off a
> major improvement in logging and journald uptake.

Hmm, I'll be in the bay area the week after LPC most likely (Sep
3...). If the hackfest could take place in that time frame I'd be happy
to join!

Thanks a lot for this suggestion!

BTW, there's going to be another hackfest related to systemd at LPC
itself. It's going to be an LXC/libvirt/systemd/SELinux hackfest, in
order to make systemd integrated formidably with containers and security
subsystems, so that we end up with secure containers for Linux that
match more closely what Solaris Zones can offer. One of the topics we're
likely to discuss is journal integration for this, so that the journals
of the containers seemlessly browsable on the host system.

It's going to be the day before LPC, in San Diego, 28th Aug.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.