[systemd-devel] How to see full lines with journalctl?

Manuel Reimer Manuel.Spam at nurfuerspam.de
Sun Nov 18 01:04:19 PST 2012

Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> I would support this, partially. The ellipsized output is only useful
> as a rough overview, but seeing such messages as "session closed...ty"
> is very rarely actually helpful... The pager can stay, though.

It can stay, but my opinion is, that it shouldn't be the default. Lines should
wrap if a program logged more than fitting into the line.

Each line starts with time information, pid and program name. If the name of the
program is a bit longer, then, if connecting with a small terminal window via
SSH, only a few characters are left to actually display information.

My first thought was: "Why the *** does journald not log the full information.
This peace of *** seems to be pretty useless for me." This was my thought
*after* looking at the man page, which didn't really answer my question, how I
can see what I have to see to understand what exactly is going on with a
specific daemon which failed for some reason on my system. For a "journald
newbie", it looks like the information isn't stored at all.

I guess most sysadmins need to see the full log output of a deamon to understand
what is going on on the system, so cutting lines by default seems to be a bad
idea. Noone needs a "rough overview" by default, as usually you only look into
the syslog if something goes wrong and in this case crippled information doesn't
help.

Yours

Manuel