[systemd-devel] What does it take to make test-engine working again?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Nov 21 12:33:49 PST 2012

On Wed, 21.11.12 20:26, Holger Freyther (holger at freyther.de) wrote:

> > More unit tests for parsing unit files would be very desirable though!
>
> The bigger question is how to avoid bitrot again? Koen pointed me to
> a jenkins but it doesn't run make check. The other part is that the output
> of the tests is very verbose and it is difficult to see the real error. In
> our Osmocom projects we are using the GNU autotest facility and it creates
> output like this:

The tests are run as part of "make distcheck" which is what we use to
prepare release tarballs. If something is in TESTS= it hence is unlikely
to bitrot simply because we cannot release anything if it is
broken. Also, given that a simple "make" will build all tests we have
compile checks of these tests every single time somebody tries to build
the thing.

The problem with this one specific test though was that I wrote it in a
style that doesn't make it useful as unit test, because I wasn't aware
of automake's TESTS construct back then.

> ## libosmocore UNKNOWN test suite. ##
>
> Regression tests.
>
>   1: a5                                       ok
>   2: bssgp-fc                                 ok
>   3: bits                                     ok
>
> cheers
>   holger

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.