[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v196

Henrik Grindal Bakken hgb at ifi.uio.no
Fri Nov 23 01:29:53 PST 2012

Thierry Reding <thierry.reding at avionic-design.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Would anyone know why the latest releases no longer work on 3.1 kernels?
> I tried to update from 187 to 196 today and booting the system on a
> vendor kernel based on 3.1.10 no longer gets to the boot prompt. It
> hangs somewhere near where it should actually be spawning a getty on
> the serial port.
>
> Booting systemd 196 on a kernel based on linux-next doesn't have this
> issue. I've gone over the NEWS entries between 187 and 196, but nothing
> obvious stood out.
>
> Any ideas?

I'm running 196 just fine on a 3.0 vendor kernel, so it's not a
universal problem.  I also use getty on the serial port, with no local
modifications.

I believe the requirement for a 3.4 (or something) kernel came in 188
for some logging bits, although I'm not sure.  systemd should work
just fine without it, though.

--
Henrik Grindal Bakken <hgb at ifi.uio.no>
PGP ID: 8D436E52