[systemd-devel] Launching a unit in response to a D-Bus signal

Mirco Tischler mt-ml at gmx.de
Tue Oct 2 05:47:01 PDT 2012

2012/10/2 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> On 10/01/2012 10:53 PM, Mirco Tischler wrote:
>>
>> Systemd isn't really the right place to do network related stuff, imo.
>> Such things are better dealt with in the network connection manager,
>> where the information is already available.
>> NetworkManager has a mechanism to execute custom scripts in
>> /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d on network events. For details take a
>> look at the man page, support for explicit actions on vpn-up/down is
>> mentioned there.
>

> Arguably systemd is the correct place under CoreOS to unite and manage
> network connections
>
> JBG

How do you do that? systemd doesn't have any support to manage network
connections. It lacks information about the state of the network
devices and cannot configure them as well.
In Matthew's case creating a dispatcher script that issues a
"systemctl restart squid.service" on vpn state changes looks like a
correct solution to me. Do you have a better idea?

Mirco