[systemd-devel] Keeping console messages on VT1

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 2 07:51:52 PDT 2012

On Thu, 27.09.12 00:02, Henrik /KaarPoSoft (henrik at kaarposoft.dk) wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am a NOOB when it comes to systemd; hope you don't mind a "stupid"
> question...
>
> When systemd is starting, it shows log messages (i.e. console
> output) on Virtual Terminal 1 (VT1).
> However:
> (1) When logind is starting, it shows a login prompt on VT1. This
> prompt may come in the middle of the console messages, messing up
> the display.

tty1 is actually not managed by logind (it will only manage TTYs 2 and
up). Simply remove /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service
and no getty will be started on tty1.

> (2) When switching to another VT, e.g. VT2, and logging in here, log
> messages (i.e. console output) are shown on VT2. This is quite
> annoying, in particular when editing a file with "vi" or similar.

console=tty1 on the kernel cmdline should make this work. systemd's boot
status display prints on /dev/console, and hence is also influenced by
console= on the kernel cmdline.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.