[systemd-devel] Keeping console messages on VT1

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Tue Oct 2 12:13:11 PDT 2012

On 10/02/12 16:51, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 27.09.12 00:02, Henrik /KaarPoSoft (henrik at kaarposoft.dk) wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am a NOOB when it comes to systemd; hope you don't mind a "stupid"
>> question...
>>
>> When systemd is starting, it shows log messages (i.e. console
>> output) on Virtual Terminal 1 (VT1).
>> However:
>> (1) When logind is starting, it shows a login prompt on VT1. This
>> prompt may come in the middle of the console messages, messing up
>> the display.
> tty1 is actually not managed by logind (it will only manage TTYs 2 and
> up). Simply remove /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service
> and no getty will be started on tty1.
Thank you very much for the clarification.
>> (2) When switching to another VT, e.g. VT2, and logging in here, log
>> messages (i.e. console output) are shown on VT2. This is quite
>> annoying, in particular when editing a file with "vi" or similar.
> console=tty1 on the kernel cmdline should make this work. systemd's boot
> status display prints on /dev/console, and hence is also influenced by
> console= on the kernel cmdline.

Yes, I can now manage to have all messages on tty1, and login on tty2,3,etc.

However, GDM 3.4.1 still puts an X11 server on tty1.
Presumably because it is not "busy", as nothing is running there.
GDM once had a FirstVT config option, but it seems gone now.

Anyways I guess that GDM is Off Topic, so I shall not persue it further
here...

/Henrik