[systemd-devel] logind lid default configuration feedback

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Oct 3 06:27:25 PDT 2012

On Wed, 03.10.12 03:50, Jiří Procházka (ojirio at gmail.com) wrote:

> Greetings,
> I'm here to complain about a bad decision to default configuration keys
> HandleLidSwitch to suspend (instead of ignore) and
> LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited to yes (instead of no).
> Many of users use desktop environments handle this action and its
> configuration (like XFCE in my case). Aside of rather obvious point of
> overlap of responsibilities, which is a problem rather diplomatical and
> hard to solve - not point of my call, the problem I have is that
> Systemd's Logind makes a certain assumption about user wants and forces
> it down on them. Not everyone wants their laptop to suspend to RAM when
> the lid is close. After an update of my system (which in this case
> brought logind on) I expected my system to work at least like it worked
> before (if not better), respecting my configuration choices, I closed my
> laptop lid and walked away for an hour or so, I expected it to crunch
> data, I lost that time due to bad logind default config decision,
> fortunately not that a big deal, but the principle holds. I hope any new
> software developments will have more of that respect.

You can easily change the defaults for your installation. But in general
we try to find good defaults that work for most people, and we believe
that suspend-when-closed is a sane policy for this case. I am sorry if
you disagree but I guess we have to agree to disagree on this.

Note that we don't "force" anything here. People can easily configure
things so that nothing or something else happens when the lid is
closed.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.