[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Journal File Format Documentation

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:11:28 PDT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I have now found the time to document the journal file format:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/journal-files
>
> Comments welcome!

    (Replying directly to this as I want to start another "sub-thread"...)

    I'm currently searching for a logging system that has the
following feature, which I'm guessing could also be beneficial for
systemd on larger systems:
    * I have multiple processes that I want to log individually; by
multiple I mean about 100+ in total (not necessarily on the same
system);
    * moreover these processes are quite dynamic (as in spawn /
terminate) hourly or daily;
    * I need to control the retention policy per process not per entire system;
    * if needed I want to be able to archive these logs in a
per-process (or process type) basis;
    * as bonus I would like to be able to "migrate" the logs for a
particular process to another system;
    (In case anyone is wondering what I'm describing, it is a PaaS
logging system similar with Heroku's logplex, etc.)

    The parallel with systemd:
    * think instead of my processes, of user-sessions and services; (I
want to keep some service's (like `sshd`) logs for more time than I
want it for DHCP, etc.);
    * then think about having a journal collecting journals from
multiple machines in a central repository;

    As such, wouldn't a "clustering" key (like service type, or
service type + pid, etc.) would make sense? This would imply:
    * splitting storage based on this "clustering key"; (not
necessarily one per file, but maybe using some consistent hashing
technique, etc.)
    * having the clustering key as a parameter for querying to
restrict index search, etc.

    Of course all what I've described in the beginning could be
"emulated" with the current journal, either by introducing a special
field, or by using the journal library with multiple files (which I
haven't checked if it is possible).

    Ciprian.