[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Journal File Format Documentation

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Oct 23 12:22:01 PDT 2012

On Tue, 23.10.12 22:14, Ciprian Dorin Craciun (ciprian.craciun at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Why? Why would anybody want to use the journal but not systemd? People
> > who have issues with the latter usually are not rational about these
> > things, and probably have a more philosophical/religious issue with
> > systemd, but then will also have the issues with the journal since it
> > follows the same philosophy and thinking.
>
>     Ok. Just to state my bias: I'm currently neutral in the SysV / BSD
> init vs systemd. I **really** do want to get rid of all the Bash-ism
> initializing my system (actually I would ban Bash from newer
> projects). But this is a totally different topic which has been
> discussed on almost all the mailing lists related to Linux that I'm
> subscribed to...

I am sorry I have to ask, but what's wrong with bash? I mean, it's a
shell, but what is worse or better than any other shell about it? What's
the benefit of dealing with multiple implementations of a shell? Do you
want to waste memory, increase your test matrix, complicate the use,
yadda, yadda?

I really, really don't buy in this Debian ideology of "bash is bad, but
dash is awesome", that's just intense BS.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.