[systemd-devel] cryptsetup: disk unlocking order

Martin Blumenstingl martin.blumenstingl at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 28 07:33:17 PDT 2012

Hi,

I switched to systemd yesterday as I was curious if/how it would work
out for me.
There is one really annoying thing so far:

I have 3 hard disks listed in /etc/crypttab.
I have to enter a password for each one at boot time.
Three disks means three passwords (strong, 15+ characters).

It turns out that the order in which I'm asked for the passwords at startup
is completely random.
At first I was asked in an alphabetical order (/mnt/a, /mnt/b, /mnt/c).
On the next reboot it used the order in which the disks are listed in
/etc/crypttab.
The reboot after that had a completely different order.

Is there any fix for this behavior?
I'm using systemd 195 on Arch Linux.

Kind Regards,
Martin