[systemd-devel] alsa-restore.service seems to be too early

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sun Sep 2 09:17:13 PDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 08:03:46PM +0400, Вечный Студент wrote:
> > Are you sure the sound cards are initialized by the time systemd tries
> > to call your service? If no, you must synchronize with udev (or just
> > order the service to a later time).
>
> I'm not sure as far as I'm not an author of the service file: it is
> supplied by alsa-utils Arch Linux package (and I have filed a bug
> there), and I don't understand all this mechanics in sufficient
> depth yet. Tutorials I have found as well as mans don't explain all
> that reality details (say, main typical sequence-defining
> before/after points) taking place during my machine booting - or I'm
> not appropriate reader :) I guess some other or additional After(s)
> must be used. Which ones?

In general it is not possible to predict when the sound cards will
appear in the system.  Maybe they are connected over USB and the user
will plug them in one hour after start. So synchronizing to fixed
point in the boot sequence is guaranteed to fail in the general case.
Proper way is to make the restoration based on proper udev events.

Zbyszek