[systemd-devel] Handling lid close in logind?

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 19:10:00 PDT 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:17 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think the desktop guys want any kind of authentication when
> the lid is closed. How feasible would it be to do the suspend when the
> inhibit is removed? I guess then it puts logind into a "active but
> will suspend asap" state which might be difficult to handle.

As I said on irc, the user experience I envision in this case is:

- user closes lid
- polkit dialog is shown (not useful because the lid is closed)
- we beep a few times to cause the user to open the lid and see the dialog
- if the lid is not opened, we forcefully suspend after a few seconds

A similar situation where we can't wait for a policykit dialog to be
answered is emergency shutdown when the battery runs empty.