[systemd-devel] XDM and systemd --user

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 23:25:20 PDT 2012

Hello All!
I'm switching to "systemd --user" now and it mostly works but I
encountered some issues. First of all I'd like to describe my setup.

I'm using XDM and FVWM. If user successfully enters valid
authentication data, then XDM starts (under that user's privileges)
application listed under "DisplayManager*session" in
"/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config" (default value is "/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession").
I simply replaced it with "/usr/bin/systemd --user" and it correctly
loads my FVWM and so on.

First question - is this a correct way to run systemd --user? I saw a
"user at .service script" but it does requires root permission to run.
Second question - I've lost all /etc/profile stuff which was set up
somehow in the depths of Xorg-related script's swamp. I'd like to run
it (as well as some other shell scripts) and borrow its envvars (at
least for some applications) - is it possible?

Sorry for somewhat lame questions :).
--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.