[systemd-devel] XDM and systemd --user

Peeters Simon peeters.simon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 04:23:04 PDT 2012

2012/9/28 Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com>:
> Hello All!
Hello

> First question - is this a correct way to run systemd --user? I saw a
> "user at .service script" but it does requires root permission to run.
this is afaik a correct way as long as a single user does not have
multiple sessions.

> Second question - I've lost all /etc/profile stuff which was set up
> somehow in the depths of Xorg-related script's swamp. I'd like to run
> it (as well as some other shell scripts) and borrow its envvars (at
> least for some applications) - is it possible?

systemd currently does not parse /etc/profile (and never will?)
you can work around by creating a shell script like this:

cat <<EOF > /bin/systemd-session
#!/bin/bash -l
exec /usr/bin/systemd --user $@
EOF

and point your xdm-config to /bin/systemd-session
(this lets bash start a 'login' shell, thus parsing /etc/profile. and
exec's systemd afterwards)

> Sorry for somewhat lame questions :).
> --
> With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.