[systemd-devel] XDM and systemd --user

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Fri Sep 28 11:47:05 PDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Peeters Simon <peeters.simon at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/9/28 Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com>:
>> Hello All!
> Hello
>
>> First question - is this a correct way to run systemd --user? I saw a
>> "user at .service script" but it does requires root permission to run.
> this is afaik a correct way as long as a single user does not have
> multiple sessions.
>
>> Second question - I've lost all /etc/profile stuff which was set up
>> somehow in the depths of Xorg-related script's swamp. I'd like to run
>> it (as well as some other shell scripts) and borrow its envvars (at
>> least for some applications) - is it possible?
>
> systemd currently does not parse /etc/profile (and never will?)

it shouldn't - you can't just "parse" it - you have to basically eval
it in a full shell, and this is frankly out of fashion.

I'm planning on replacing it with something like:

user at .service:
[Service]
EnvironmentFile=-/etc/environment
EnvironmentFile=-%h/.config/environment
ExecStart=/usr/lib/systemd/system --user

This allows us to set globals in the session properly, and not block
for some shell action.

Auke