[systemd-devel] login problems

Christian Hesse mail at eworm.de
Mon Apr 29 15:03:24 PDT 2013

Hello everybody,

ok, this looks very tricky... I have no idea what happens and I have no way
to reproduce this. It just happens from time to time - very seldom.

If this happens I am not able to log in from lxdm and getty. The only way back
into the system is getting a failed login from getty, it succeeds after the
process has been restarted. From there I can restart lxdm unit.

Looks like lxdm-binary gets 'permission denied' when accessing some file.
This is strace from lxdm-binary, grepped for 'EACCES':

open("/etc/pam.d/eworm-yubico-otp", O_RDONLY) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/var/log/faillog", O_RDWR)        = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/var/log/faillog", O_RDONLY)      = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/dev/bus/usb/001/002", O_RDWR)    = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
open("/etc/shadow", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

lxdm-binary is running with user and group 'root' so I do not understand why
permissions for other take effect.

This is an Arch Linux system with Linux 3.8.8-1-ARCH and systemd 202-1.
Any ideas?
--
Schoene Gruesse
Chris