[systemd-devel] EFI boot generator failing to detect I'm actually booting on EFI

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Apr 30 06:34:13 PDT 2013

Hi,

'Twas brillig, and Léo Gillot-Lamure at 30/04/13 14:08 did gyre and gimble:
> I run an EFI system with gentoo, gummiboot and systemd 202 (and no initramfs).
> I'm expecting my ESP to be mounted on /boot thanks to the
> systemd-efi-boot-generator, however it is not. By stracting it for the
> open syscall, I can see that the last call is this one, before
> EXIT_SUCCESSing :
>
>> open("/sys/firmware/efi/efivars/LoaderDevicePartUUID-4a67b082-0a4c-41cf-b6c7-440b29bb8c4f", O_RDONLY|O_NOCTTY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
>
> Thus the failing call is efi_get_loader_device_part_uuid at line 58 of
> efi-boot-generator.c not finding the LoaderDevicePartUUID variable.
> Is my firmware buggy ? Could the generator be modified to work anyway ?

I had a similar issue recently. It turned out to be the fact that
efivars was compiled as a separate kernel module rather than baked in.
It really needs to be compiled in rather than as a module. Apparently
it'll work at some point in the future as a module, but not right now.

See my earlier thread on this list from April 9th "Mounting efivars /
efivarfs"

Col

--

Colin Guthrie