[systemd-devel] Create a new logind session from a systemd --user unit

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 04:24:23 PDT 2013

On 04/08/13 15:46, Colin Walters wrote:
> 1) Pretty much all the user processes are no longer inside a session
>    at all.
> 2) It is now much harder to log in multiple times graphically; this
>    is kind of a crazy thing to do, but it's still *possible*.

How (if at all) does this cope with gdm multi-seat? Even if it isn't
possible for the same "real user" to be on more than one seat
simultaneously, if I understand it correctly, I think a multi-seat gdm
setup still wants to be running the greeter (as a system user, e.g.
Debian-gdm on Debian) on each seat.

(One possibility is to have some way for gdm to synthesize new uids, but
that needs OS-integrator-level support, e.g. a reserved uid range;
another is for each seat's greeter to set the necessary pile of extra
environment variables to avoid using the XDG_RUNTIME_DIR much, or at all.)