[systemd-devel] Create a new logind session from a systemd --user unit

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Aug 5 06:18:36 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 12:24 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 04/08/13 15:46, Colin Walters wrote:
> > 1) Pretty much all the user processes are no longer inside a session
> >    at all.
> > 2) It is now much harder to log in multiple times graphically; this
> >    is kind of a crazy thing to do, but it's still *possible*.
>
> How (if at all) does this cope with gdm multi-seat? Even if it isn't
> possible for the same "real user" to be on more than one seat
> simultaneously, if I understand it correctly, I think a multi-seat gdm
> setup still wants to be running the greeter (as a system user, e.g.
> Debian-gdm on Debian) on each seat.

With my current patches, GDM still launches the greeter itself in the
same way it was before - I believe multi-seat will still work, becuase
gdm sets the environment variables for each greeter session.

Doing the greeter session multiseat would probably be something like
gnome-session at seat0.service, which in turn would really require breaking
up gnome-session into component parts and having
org.gnome.SessionManager.seat0 because with the user bus because there's
only one org.gnome.SessionManager bus name...but then...ugh.

Ok, maybe you're right that dynamically generating uids would be easier.

But honestly, rearchitecting the greeter session is really low on my
priority list - the most important thing is to get applications in
cgroups.  So we can just leave it as is for the near future.