[systemd-devel] advice for fixing systemd206 installation please

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 08:15:03 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM, lux-integ <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> greetings,
>
> I am attempt to learn how to use systemd.
>
> I installed systemd-206 on a machine with these:-
> --OS cblfs pure 64bit
> --cpu amd64
> --kerernel  linux-3.10.5
> --no X11  but radeon GPU
>
> I am using all the 'systemd' defaults:-
> These are my findings:-
>
> --A) The machine boots to command prompt  with large fonts. But a few minutes
> after logging in the screen is refreshed and small fonts appear and the
> machine hangs.

The resolution change happens when udev loads the 'radeon' module with
KMS enabled. I don't know why it hangs though; it *might* be because
of missing firmware (as I found out the hard way last week).

> --B) insertion of a usb stick has the screen spewing line of 10 words of the
> type  (for example )
> [  yada yada yada ] aa bb cc dd ee ff gg hh ii jj
> SD S:0:0:0 [sdc] No cache mode page
> but no files in dev  for  /dev/sdc
>
> -----ordinary SATA  hard disks
> -----hard-disks with usb interfaces
> -----compact-flash devices with SATA interfces
> register in /dev   ( and are mountable )
>
> BUT
> ------usb flash devices
> DO NOT register in /dev
> .  These are traditionally formatted with FAT.
>

> (and my kernel has fat support compiled in )

The filesystem is irrelevant, since it is checked at mount time, and
you mount disks *after* they show up in /dev.

Make sure you have *USB mass storage* drivers enabled (compiled in or modules).

> ---C)  The partition with systemd sits below a partition  (call this
> /dev/sda1) with grub2.  After compiling the kernel in one instance  I had
> mounted /dev/sda1 on /mnt/somewhere   then  unmounted and rebooted.
> On rebooting mount shows /dev/sda1  as still been mounted on /mnt/somewhere.
> Even after I did a umount /mnt/somewhere and deleted /mnt/somewhere and
> rebooted mount everytime shows /dev/sda1 as mounted on /mnt/soewhere

Does `findmnt` show the same? Also, is your /etc/mtab a regular file,
or a symlink to /proc/self/mounts?

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>