[systemd-devel] FUSE mount cannot be started on boot

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Aug 8 09:03:49 PDT 2013

On 8 Aug 2013 17:10, "Jan Engelhardt" <jengelh at inai.de> wrote:

> On Thursday 2013-08-08 16:26, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at inai.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> With systemd 195, an /etc/fstab line like
> >>
> >>         /srv/www /home/www fuse.bindfs auto,group=foo,perms=g+rw 0 0
> >>
> >> can fail to start if /dev/fuse does not exist yet.
> >
> >/dev/fuse should be created by udev (in 195, and by
> >systemd-tmpflise-setup-dev in more recent versions), and this happens
> >before the mounts from fstab are started. Can you verify that the
> >ordering is correct for you with "systemctl show home-www.mount | grep
> >After" (and so on until you hopefully find systemd-udevd.service)?
>
> home-www.mount:
> After=local-fs-pre.target systemd-journald.socket -.mount
>
> local-fs-pre.target:
> After=systemd-remount-fs.service md.service lvm.service dmraid.service
> systemd-udevd.service
>

> Even if systemd-udevd was listed in After=, there is not a guarantee
> that udevd has already processed the event and managed to create
> /dev/fuse, is there?

/dev/fuse is a static node created unconditionally by udev as part of udevd
startup (and not due to an uevent), so this should be guaranteed.

Are you certain that a race with mknod is the problem? What output do you
get?

This was all recently refactored, so there is a small chance the problem
will go away if you use a more recent version, but my guess is that
something else is wrong...

Cheers,

Tom