[systemd-devel] FUSE mount cannot be started on boot

Jan Engelhardt jengelh at inai.de
Thu Aug 8 09:22:16 PDT 2013

On Thursday 2013-08-08 18:03, Tom Gundersen wrote:

>/dev/fuse is a static node created unconditionally by udev as part of udevd
>startup (and not due to an uevent), so this should be guaranteed.
>
>Are you certain that a race with mknod is the problem? What output do you
>get?

It used to be

 systemd[1]: Mounting /home/www...
 mount[1893]: fuse: device not found, try 'modprobe fuse' first
 systemd[1]: home-www.mount mount process exited, code=exited status=1
 systemd[1]: Failed to mount /home/www.
 systemd[1]: Unit home-www.mount entered failed state

and because the entry in fstab was not marked as "nofail", things
stopped real early at boot (pre ssh).

It may be conceivable that I had an older modules.devname where
/dev/fuse was in fact not listed, though that seems unlikely
to me (module-init-tools did not change, nor did the grand
kernel version, meaning that any old initrd must have already
had modules.devname with fuse in it).