[systemd-devel] How to delete device units presented in systemd-analyze plot.

Hoyer, Marko (ADITG/SW2) mhoyer at de.adit-jv.com
Mon Aug 12 00:19:45 PDT 2013

Hi Tony,

to the green box and the comment about insmod:
- Did you compile the kernel module or the whole kernel on your own? Maybe you missed stripping the kernel modules. Unstripped kernel modules can be pretty large and hence might need a long time to load depending on the storage connected. The same is true for the player binary and the shared libs ...

To the device units:
- the pink bars show that the devices are active. It has nothing to do with the time needed to activate them. These times are represented by the red bars. The pink ones are looking so long in your figures because you player needs so long to get up.

To service-udev-trigger.service:
- Udevadm trigger  is expensive, I know from my own experiences. In you figure, it is looking even worse. This service is used to trigger udevd to set up cold plug devices. If you know your cold plug devices and how to set them up (modules loading, dev node creation, setting attributes, ...) you might consider setting them up manually during startup by respective service files and do a very selective udevadm trigger (using filters for subsystems for instance) only.

Hope this helps ...

Best regards

Marko Hoyer
Software Group II (ADITG/SW2)