[systemd-devel] systemd session mode

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Sun Dec 1 12:33:04 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Hristo Venev <hristo at venev.name> wrote:
> I've implemented session mode for systemd. I am currently using it and it works
> pretty okay. I just had to generate D-Bus user services for D-Bus activation to
> work.
>
> A new variable, XDG_SESSION_DIR, has been added. It defaults to
> /run/session/$XDG_SESSION_ID and is to be used for session-specific files as it
> is `rm -rf`-ed on logout. There, in ./systemd/private, the systemd socket is
> stored. Also, my implementation of session units stores the D-Bus socket in
> ./dbus/session_bus_socket.

There is intentionally only support for "systemd --user", no plan to
support any sort of systemd session instance. The one instance for the
user will be shared by all sessions of the same user.

With kdbus, the bus will be created by systemd itself, and also one
per user, not one per session.

D-Bus activation will be handled by new .busname units, read by
systemd. the current D-Bus config and policy will go away.

Kay