[systemd-devel] systemd session mode

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Tue Dec 10 09:53:09 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Hristo Venev <hristo at venev.name> wrote:
>> I've implemented session mode for systemd. I am currently using it and it works
>> pretty okay. I just had to generate D-Bus user services for D-Bus activation to
>> work.
>>
>> A new variable, XDG_SESSION_DIR, has been added. It defaults to
>> /run/session/$XDG_SESSION_ID and is to be used for session-specific files as it
>> is `rm -rf`-ed on logout. There, in ./systemd/private, the systemd socket is
>> stored. Also, my implementation of session units stores the D-Bus socket in
>> ./dbus/session_bus_socket.
>
> There is intentionally only support for "systemd --user", no plan to
> support any sort of systemd session instance. The one instance for the
> user will be shared by all sessions of the same user.

right, my personal thoughts on this were to have
session@<seat>.service units that take care of spawing a graphical UX
to the user on that seat.

I see little reason to create yet another instance of systemd --user
as the one existing process should be able to handle everything for a
single user already.

Not sure what to do with this patch series, I fear it will risk
running into problems when you have multiple seats and other things
like that, but I haven't looked into details of the patches too
much...

Auke