[systemd-devel] PrivateTmp and "tmpwatch"

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Sun Feb 3 08:13:43 PST 2013

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 04:52:42PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> hi
>
> may it be that PrivateTmp does not refresh the folders
> /tmp/systemd-private* and if "tmpwatch" is deleting
> them they are mnot re-created?
>
> Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_57d8_0.MYI' (Errcode: 2)
>
> after restart mysqld.service which is here configured with
> PrivateTmp all is fine again - recently i decided to dedicate
> a special folder for mysqltmp and modified my daily logwatch
> to ignore folders starting with "systemd-" but this is not
> really perfect
>
> i would suggest systemd to touch the folders regulary or watch if
> they are removed by whatever foreign process and re-create them
Hi,
this wouldn't really work, since there would be regular windows
where the directory would be missing. tmpwatch configuration
should instead be tweaked to ignore /tmp/systemd-private-* and
/var/tmp/systemd-private-*.

> [root at buildserver:~]$ rpm -q systemd
> systemd-44-23.fc17.x86_64
Recently (>197) there have been changes to systemd-tmpfiles to
leave those directories in place. Michal Sekletar recently posted
a patch to make systemd clean then up properly by itself.

Zbyszek