[systemd-devel] Get rid of /etc/fstab

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Sun Feb 3 08:36:13 PST 2013

On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek at in.waw.pl> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 03:24:44PM +0100, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Looking forward to mount custom partitions I decided to use unit.mount
>> files to define my new fs. Everything works perfectly, so I tried to
>> do the same with all my mounted filesystems and removing /etc/fstab.
>>
>> But unfortunatly, creating a -.mount file in
>> /etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants not work as I expected. I
>> guess it's because generated file /run/systemd/generator/-.mount take
>> precedence.
> The file should go in /etc/systemd/system/-.mount. If you add
> an section like
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> than it should be "installed" with 'systemctl enable -.mount', and
> a symlink /etc/systemd/system/local-fs.target.wants -> /etc/systemd/system/-.mount
> will be created. (Just a normal symlink, but it's nicer to use systemctl
> to avoid typos).
The point is not on using symlinks, I do this for test.
As you suggest (in the install section) to setup files in
multi-user.target.wants, I tested too, but it changes nothing.

> The list of paths in order of priority is printed during
> startup/reload at debug level. You can generate this list with
>    kill -SIGRTMIN+22 1 && systemctl daemon-reload
# kill -SIGRTMIN+22 1 && systemctl daemon-reload
kill: unknown signal: SIGRTMIN+22
kill: type kill -l for a list of signals

>> Is there any way of removing old fstab to full unit configuration?
> If fstab is missing, the generator will immediately exit (returning 0).

I've tested deleting fstab file and this change nothing to my previous
test with a blank fstab. Root filesystem is still ro and no options
are took.

Last test was done on systemd 197 on ArchLinux.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
https://www.seblu.net