[systemd-devel] When and why was write_cd_rules and 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules where dropped?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Feb 7 06:16:46 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM, Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Robert Milasan <rmilasan at suse.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:11:13 +0100
>> I still am on the idea the a base static rules for the
>> primary cd/dvd driver should exists, don't think that those rules would
>> screw something up.
>
> Yeah, I thought the same that time and added them as you see in the
> patch above. But as said, people did not like them to be tight to sr0
> only, and it's a reasonable request, so we removed them from the
> defaults.

I believe I was one of the people asking for /dev/dvd to be dropped.

The weirdness you get with the original code is that if you have two
optical drives and one is a cdrom+dvdrom and the other is only a
cdrom, then depending on which of them is /dev/sr0 (which might differ
between reboots) you may or may not get the /dev/dvd symlink. This (I
would say) is highly unintuitive, one should think a priori that if
you have at least one dvdrom present and have the /dev/dvd symlink
support, then there should always be a /dev/dvd symlink.

If you only ever have one optical drive connected, or if all your
optical drives have the same features this is not a problem (but you
still have the issue that which drive the symlink points to is random
between reboots so you don't know in which hole to put your disk).

Cheers,

Tom