[systemd-devel] When and why was write_cd_rules and 75-cd-aliases-generator.rules where dropped?

Robert Milasan rmilasan at suse.com
Thu Feb 7 06:22:10 PST 2013

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 15:16:46 +0100
"Tom Gundersen" <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> I believe I was one of the people asking for /dev/dvd to be dropped.
>
> The weirdness you get with the original code is that if you have two
> optical drives and one is a cdrom+dvdrom and the other is only a
> cdrom, then depending on which of them is /dev/sr0 (which might differ
> between reboots) you may or may not get the /dev/dvd symlink. This (I
> would say) is highly unintuitive, one should think a priori that if
> you have at least one dvdrom present and have the /dev/dvd symlink
> support, then there should always be a /dev/dvd symlink.
>
> If you only ever have one optical drive connected, or if all your
> optical drives have the same features this is not a problem (but you
> still have the issue that which drive the symlink points to is random
> between reboots so you don't know in which hole to put your disk).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Actually not true, currently you will only have /dev/cdrom to sr0,
which is taken as the primary cd/dvd drive. If you have a secondary
drive /dev/sr1 lets say, you will have only the node, no links will be
created anyway, so the theory still stands, at least for me. Also we
have to take in consideration that those people who asked to
drop /dev/dvd, they do know what they are doing, but nobody informed,
the developers of vlc lets say, to maybe search for /dev/sr0,
not /dev/dvd, or anything like that

Plus, most people don't know much about udev or systemd and how all
works, so they will not know what to do and how to play a dvd, when vlc
is showing what to do, but still is wrong, as the link is not there.

--
Robert Milasan

L3 Support Engineer
SUSE Linux (http://www.suse.com)
email: rmilasan at suse.com
GPG fingerprint: B6FE F4A8 0FA3 3040 3402  6FE7 2F64 167C 1909 6D1A