[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn and Debian

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 8 14:03:11 PST 2013

On Fri, 08.02.13 13:31, Jake Edge (jake at lwn.net) wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 21:19:22 +0100 Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > Well, you'll have to build systemd inside the container, because you
> > need to build it against the Debian version of the libraries, of
> > course. Building it inside the container should be easy, even if you
> > cannot make the container boot, after all you do get a shell in it,
> > right?
>
> yes ... and there was a /usr/share/sysvinit/inittab, just not
> in /etc/inittab for reasons unknown ... i symlinked it and it gets a lot
> further (but not to a login prompt) now ...

Uh, that's weird. Michael, Tollef, any idea what is going on?

> yes, of course, debian libs ... i'll get on that ...
>
> it is nearly two years old, but your "Here's an example how in three
> commands you can boot a Debian OS on your Fedora machine inside an
> nspawn container" in systemd for admins VI seems a little less that
> entirely accurate :)

Well, the example in the manpage only spawns a shell in it, doesn't try
too boot it up, and that's actually for a reason... ;-)

The moment where Debian supports booting up in a Linux container without
any modifications I'll update the man page to include "-b" in the nspawn
command line too!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.