[systemd-devel] systemd-nspawn and Debian

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:58:05 PST 2013

2013/2/8 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> On Fri, 08.02.13 13:31, Jake Edge (jake at lwn.net) wrote:

>> On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 21:19:22 +0100 Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> > Well, you'll have to build systemd inside the container, because you
>> > need to build it against the Debian version of the libraries, of
>> > course. Building it inside the container should be easy, even if you
>> > cannot make the container boot, after all you do get a shell in it,
>> > right?
>>
>> yes ... and there was a /usr/share/sysvinit/inittab, just not
>> in /etc/inittab for reasons unknown ... i symlinked it and it gets a lot
>> further (but not to a login prompt) now ...
>
> Uh, that's weird. Michael, Tollef, any idea what is going on?

This is strange and I can't explain or reproduce that.
Fwiw, I've tried the following

# create the Debian sid chroot
debootstrap sid /srv/sid
chroot /srv/sid
apt-get install systemd
exit
# in a F18 system
systemd-nspawn -b -D /srv/sid/ /bin/systemd

basically works. I idid get a few error messages when the container
was booted like

Netlink failure for request 1: Operation not permitted
Failed to configure loopback device: Operation not permitted
Failed to enable ctrl-alt-del handling: Invalid argument
Failed to open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory
Failed to install release agent, ignoring: File exists
Failed to open /dev/autofs: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize automounter: No such file or directory
Unit proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount entered failed state.

universe are pointed away from Earth?