[systemd-devel] How do you set the machine's domain name with systemd?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sun Feb 10 11:41:15 PST 2013

Hi all,

I have just switched my Arch Linux machine to systemd and it mostly works, but
I'm encountering a few issues.

For one, all my NFS mounts are failing, and it seems to be because I have
granted permission via domain name, and since switching to systemd my machine
no longer has a domain name, so I'm getting access denied errors:

$ cat /etc/hostname
korath

$ hostname
korath

$ hostname -s
localhost

$ hostname -f
localhost.localdomain

Why is the short name being reported as localhost?  How can I change the
domain to my actual domain name instead of "localdomain"?  According to all
the documentation, the domain name should not be specified in /etc/hostname -
so where should it go?

Many thanks,
Adam.