[systemd-devel] Someone working on gui for multiseat?

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 02:09:45 PST 2013

2013/2/11 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> On Mon, 11.02.13 12:59, Stef Bon (stefbon at gmail.com) wrote:
>

>> And since you say it's simple by just make the call, can you just
>> describe what to do to make a plugable device like the UD-160-A/M turn
>> into a dockingstation?
>
> loginctl attach seat0 <sysfs>

Aha ! That I missed!! This makes sense. I thought a device as a
docking station is hanlded seperate, with the tags for the seat set
like seat1 ot seat2.
Just attach to seat0.

>> Huh?? If this maillist is only what Lennart agrees with  I stop here
>> direct.
>
> Well, I wrote the multi-seat support, I guess you have to arrange
> yourself with the fact that I have a say in it.

Of course. I only reacted this way while I was only gave a situation
as example, and not a suggestion to create a different policy, and got
annoyed.

> Nope, we don't do that anymore. You want these things to just work. Of
> course currently this will only work for those who want to use the
> device for multi-seat purposes... But getting this work automatically
> for most people, and allowing all others to reconfigure is better than
> making a bad user experience for everybody.

Yes.

>> If the user chooses a docking station, the tags like "ID_FOR_SEAT" and
>> "ID_AUTOSEAT" have to be removed (cause it's not a seat!) and replaced
>> by something like "ID_DOCK" or something simular.
>>
>> This is not very handy isn't it?
>
> Please read up again on the basic concepts of multi seat, and keep in
> mind that the docking station logic just means attaching more devices to
> "seat0" instead of creating a new seat. Thus, with the loginctl line
> above you can do what you are asking for...

I understand that with loginctl attach you can assign a device to
seat0, making it a docking device (other programs should pick this up
of course), this creates a permanent rule. I will experiment with it.
I've got three of these plugable devices.

Earlier I've given an example about handling the first device as a
docking station, and every next as extra seat. This is not a suggested
default, but a situation as example., and how the system can handle
this situation compared too what you want.

Thanks a lot  for clearing this,

Stef

> Of course, doing this via the command line is not user-frienldy, but
> maybe this will one day get fixed and somebody writes a proper UI for
> it...

Well maybe me.