[systemd-devel] Someone working on gui for multiseat?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 11 12:30:47 PST 2013

On Mon, 11.02.13 12:59, Stef Bon (stefbon at gmail.com) wrote:

> Huh?? I do care since I think the way these plugable devices are not
> handled optimal, especially from the point if view from the user.
>
> And since you say it's simple by just make the call, can you just
> describe what to do to make a plugable device like the UD-160-A/M turn
> into a dockingstation?

loginctl attach seat0 <sysfs>

Replace "<sysfs>" by the sysfs path of the plugable device. This will
create the udev rule persistently.

> > I'm not sure Lennart agreed that the first one should be a docking
> > stating and every other an extra seat. I mean the devices are varied.
> > Some are marketed as docking stations, others as seats and it's likely
> > best to treat them like that regardless of how many you plug in. After
> > the initial defaults, then the udev rules should be able to override that.
> >

> Huh?? If this maillist is only what Lennart agrees with  I stop here
> direct.

Well, I wrote the multi-seat support, I guess you have to arrange
yourself with the fact that I have a say in it.

> I've given the example about a specific situation a user wants to use
> a plugable device like UD-160-A/M as a docking station (thus as
> UD-160-A) in stead of an extra seat (thus as UD-160-M). If the user
> wants to do that the handling of these devices should be flexible
> enough to make that work. And in my opinion this is not the case right
> now.

One loginctl command isn't particularly hard.

> In my opinion, when a device like the UD-160-M/A is detected, and an
> admin user is logged in, that user should get a screen with a choice
> what to do with that device. Depending on what he/she chooses, the
> tags are set.

Nope, we don't do that anymore. You want these things to just work. Of
course currently this will only work for those who want to use the
device for multi-seat purposes... But getting this work automatically
for most people, and allowing all others to reconfigure is better than
making a bad user experience for everybody.

> If the user chooses a docking station, the tags like "ID_FOR_SEAT" and
> "ID_AUTOSEAT" have to be removed (cause it's not a seat!) and replaced
> by something like "ID_DOCK" or something simular.
>
> This is not very handy isn't it?

Please read up again on the basic concepts of multi seat, and keep in
mind that the docking station logic just means attaching more devices to
"seat0" instead of creating a new seat. Thus, with the loginctl line
above you can do what you are asking for...

Of course, doing this via the command line is not user-frienldy, but
maybe this will one day get fixed and somebody writes a proper UI for
it...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.