[systemd-devel] How to debug crash of systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 12 16:15:51 PST 2013

On Tue, 12.02.13 13:43, cee1 (fykcee1 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> systemd will call crash() if received fatal signals. It will produce a
> core dump for analysis.
> However, it seems signal handler has a separated stack, so can't back
> trace the place where exactly the fatal signal triggered.

Nowadays gdb should be good enough to follow the stack trace further up
than just the signal handler. Which arch is this? If it's not x86 this
sounds like something to fix in gdb for that arch. I have multiple times
used the coredumps and they always worked fine, and where not confused
by the signal stack...

> Any idea?
>
> BTW,
> * It will be helpful if could print /proc/1/maps, more:
> https://github.com/cee1/systemd/commit/89d049507734746f6f1100218ca97cc829b05e0a
> * Has anyone tried the crash shell? I added a custom sysrq which will
> send SEGV to init, hence triggered the crash(). According to the log,
> crash shell was called and exited immediately.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.