[systemd-devel] troubleshooting different behaviour of systemd between f16 and f18

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 13 07:41:01 PST 2013

On Wed, 13.02.13 10:56, Thierry Parmentelat (thierry.parmentelat at inria.fr) wrote:

> Hi Lennart
>
> Thanks for the feedback; I didn't know that, so it might come in handy in understanding the problem
>
> However, I'm puzzled because it looks like there's no attempt at all to launch pl_sysinit
>
> The reason I came to believe that is with what I can see specifically on f18 where the init sequence hangs, is
> [    6.457869] systemd[1]: Starting pl_boot service...
>          Starting pl_boot service...

Well, these status lines are printed for the services only, not for the
binaries that are invoked inside them.

> [    6.472586] systemd-journald[66]: Received SIGUSR1
> [  OK  ] Started Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage.
> [    6.479961] systemd[1]: Started Trigger Flushing of Journal to Persistent Storage.
> [  900.000452] systemd[1]: Starting Cleanup of Temporary Directories...
>
> while the f16 log at around the same stage reads

> Started Recreate Volatile Files and Directories                        [  OK  ]
> Started IPv4 firewall with iptables                                    [  OK  ]
> Started IPv6 firewall with ip6tables                                   [  OK  ]
> Starting pl_boot service...
> [    7.106328] pl_sysinit[259]: PlanetLab BootCD - distro lxc based on f16
> [    7.118254] pl_sysinit[259]: 04:34:03 pl_sysinit: bringing system online
> [    7.131521] pl_sysinit[259]: 04:34:03 pl_sysinit: mounting file systems
> [    7.144839] pl_sysinit[259]: mount: none already mounted or /dev/pts busy
>

> Now, another explanation of course is that pl_sysinit does get started but that somehow its output does not show up in this log;
> both attempts run with
> systemd.log_level=debug systemd.log_target=kmsg

Log output of services ends up in the journal these days, from both
early boot and late boot. And used to end up in syslog, except for
early-boot where it ended up in kmsg -- which is probably what you saw.

hence, check syslog or journalctl.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.