[systemd-devel] [Question] How to specify LimitCORE=infinity for all the daemon processes?

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Feb 20 16:53:56 PST 2013

From: Oleksii Shevchuk <shevchuk at iit.kharkov.ua>
Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] [Question] How to specify LimitCORE=infinity for all the daemon processes?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 11:53:00 +0200

> By default services has infty limit, afaik
>
> If you have 25M truncated cores, that's because of systemd-coredump
> limitation. Feel free to try this patch:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2013-February/009065.html

Thanks for your suggestion.

But, sadly, it would be different from what I mean. I want to specify
soft limit for daemon processes only and uniformly in one
configuration; I don't want to write configuration over and over for
each service.

What I look at for the soft limit is, for example:

$ cat /proc/$(pgrep crond)/limits
Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit           Units
Max cpu time              unlimited            unlimited            seconds
Max file size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max data size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max stack size            8388608              unlimited            bytes
Max core file size        0                    unlimited            bytes   <-- this
<cut>

This is under default configuration.

- Specify LimitCORE=infinity in each *.service unit file

by this, daemon process has unlimited for soft limit.

$ cat /proc/$(pgrep crond)/limits
Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit           Units
Max cpu time              unlimited            unlimited            seconds
Max file size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max data size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max stack size            8388608              unlimited            bytes
Max core file size        unlimited            unlimited            bytes   <-- this
<cut>

For normal processes,

> - Specify DefaultLimitCORE=infinity in /etc/systemd/system.conf

by this, normal processes, deamon, has unlimited for soft limit, like:

$ sleep 1000 &
[1] 2750
$ cat /proc/2750/limits
Limit                     Soft Limit           Hard Limit           Units
Max cpu time              unlimited            unlimited            seconds
Max file size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max data size             unlimited            unlimited            bytes
Max stack size            8720000              unlimited            bytes
Max core file size        unlimited            unlimited            bytes   <-- cut
<cut>

So, I've already understood we can get daemon processes. My question
is how to configure for each daemon to have unlimited in their soft
limit by one configuration in systemd framework.

BTW, I heard systemd-coredump for the first time. Does this mean some
particular feature of systemd concerning core dump?

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke