[systemd-devel] [Question] How to specify LimitCORE=infinity for all the daemon processes?

HATAYAMA Daisuke d.hatayama at jp.fujitsu.com
Wed Feb 20 17:15:59 PST 2013

From: Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>
Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] [Question] How to specify LimitCORE=infinity for all the daemon processes?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:10:13 +0000

> 'Twas brillig, and Oleksii Shevchuk at 20/02/13 09:53 did gyre and gimble:
>> By default services has infty limit, afaik
>>
>> If you have 25M truncated cores, that's because of systemd-coredump
>> limitation. Feel free to try this patch:
>>
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2013-February/009065.html
>
> Or you can configure the journal to not capture coredumps at all, either
> via a compile time option or a sysctl tweak (kernel.core_pattern I think).

Hello, thanks for your reaction.

For the sysctl tweak, yes, kernel core dumper ignores soft limit if
target is pipe specified by kernel.core_pattern. I said abrt works
well in the question mail and abrt is one of the users using
kernel.core_pattern; more precisely, it's abrt-ccpp.

And, from your suggestion, I found that systemd framework does
something similar to abrt such as systemd-coredumpctl, although this
appears not to used fedora 18 at default; abrt is used.

$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
|/usr/libexec/abrt-hook-ccpp %s %c %p %u %g %t e

Hmm, I'm beginning with considering that some particular journaling
daemon collects core dumps via core_pattern's pipe is becoming
standard, manually collecting each process's corefiles are obsolete,
and so there's no configuring daemon's soft limit at the same time in
one configuration on systemd framework?

Thanks.
HATAYAMA, Daisuke