[systemd-devel] loopback and dhclient advice please

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 22 02:00:39 PST 2013

On Fri, 22.02.13 08:58, lux-integ (lux-integ at btconnect.com) wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am attempting to learn to implement systemd.  I have been searching
> the internet for example unit files for the loopback interface (lo)
> and dhclient.

The loopback device is set up very very early at boot in
src/core/loopback-setup.c in C code. In virtually all cases that should
be entirely sufficient to get the loopback interface set up, and you
don't need anything else.

DHCP does not apply to the loopback device as the loopback is
unconditionally configured to 127.0.0.1, and dynamic configuration is
not necessary.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.