[systemd-devel] Human relationships...

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Feb 26 12:49:20 PST 2013

On Fri, 22.02.13 13:37, Dennis Semakin (insane79 at yandex.ru) wrote:

> Hello everybody.
> Hi Lennart.
>
> Since I was watching and looking at the diagrams which is building by my application... it shows
> the depending of any objects to each other.
> I catch myself for one though...
> systemd's units build some bounds, like a humans.
> I mean each of us can be 'WantsBy' somebody
> can be 'Conflict', can be 'Wants' by someone,
> can be 'Require'... all of us have the 'Target's... and so on.
>
> It look like human relationships... I think.
>
> Q: What was your philosophy when you start to think about systemd?

Our dependency vocabulary is based on the vocabulary already established
by package managers for inter-package dependencies, as well as the
vocabulary already in use by other init systems for inter-service
dependencies. There's where little of our own creativity in the naming
of these dependency types.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.