[systemd-devel] RFC: Predictable Network Interface Names

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 7 14:29:55 PST 2013

On Mon, 07.01.13 23:06, Holger Winkelmann (hw at travelping.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Generally great idea specially embedded people like us will
> welcome. Do you have any idea it's possible to allow the "/" slash in
> interface names as known and seen in other network devices? It could
> be used to name interface regarding the slot and port?
>
> I.e.   fe0/01 for fast Ethernet port in first slot with a multi port NIC.

Well, as these names show up in sysfs and hence in the file system they
can't really include slashes since that's not allowed in file
names. This is a general kernel limitation.

For your example the new code would pick a name of "enp0s0d0", i.e. for
pci bus 0, slot 0, and dev_id 0.

See this for details:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#n20

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.