[systemd-devel] RFC: Predictable Network Interface Names

Holger Winkelmann hw at travelping.com
Tue Jan 8 04:37:30 PST 2013

Hi,

> > I.e.   fe0/01 for fast Ethernet port in first slot with a multi port NIC.
>
> Well, as these names show up in sysfs and hence in the file system they
> can't really include slashes since that's not allowed in file
> names. This is a general kernel limitation.

I know about limitations in Kernel and have seen some efforts in the past
to avoid this. but generally I don't think it would be successful to go down
the road to allow slashes.

> For your example the new code would pick a name of "enp0s0d0", i.e. for
> pci bus 0, slot 0, and dev_id 0.

It would take some time to geht used for this names, anyway...
In your link below I have seen "ID_NET_NAME_ONBOARD_LABEL=Ethernet Port 1"

can anybody explain where this label is being exposed to userland tools for
display and management purposes?

Many thanks, Holger

> See this for details:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev/udev-builtin-net_id.c#n20