[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] TODO

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 11 12:00:44 PST 2013

On Fri, 11.01.13 11:23, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> >> List of all zsh's man pages appears on top of zshall(1) simply because
> >> it includes zsh(1) as well :)
> >
> > Uh, ah. I prefer having systemdall however as an index only. Not really
> > convinced such a merged page makes much sense for us.
>
> As Tollef said it can be quite useful. I often find myself
> half-remembering a directive and then going through each of systemd.unit
> systemd.service and systemd.exec trying to find it each time with
> variations on the name in case I'm remembering it slightly wrong.
>
> An index is useful but a single man page with everything in it what I
> can grep is really useful at times.

Hmm, there is an item on the TODO list to have an explicit index
somewhere of all settings, with references to the various man pages we
have. I.e. something where all settings from the unit files,
logind.conf, system.conf, journal.conf and so on are listed, with
references to the actual man pages.

I mean, we have a huge amount of docs now, I somehow think that merging
that all into one gigantic file doesn't really scale and just creates
noise (i.e. why would you want systemd-delta's man page in your data set
if you grep for a config setting?). So I'd rather vote for two index pages:

 systemd.index(1) as an index of all man pages we have (i.e. a man
 version of the HTML index we already have)

 systemd.config(5) as index of all configuration settings, from all
 configuration files.

Does that make sense?

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.