[systemd-devel] PATCH: handle SYSTEMCTL_OPTIONS in systemctl

Frederic Crozat fcrozat at suse.com
Wed Jan 16 09:07:17 PST 2013

Le mercredi 16 janvier 2013 à 17:47 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Wed, 16.01.13 17:34, Frederic Crozat (fcrozat at suse.com) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > on openSUSE, we found the need to sometime force "--ignore-dependencies"
> > when systemctl is called (usually from other services / initscripts /
> > tools started by initscripts and which can cause deadlock).
>
> I am pretty sure that this is really something to work-around (or even
> better: just fix) in the specific init scripts, rather than work-around
> in systemctl.

Unfortunately, it is not that simple:
 - we are already forced to use --ignore-dependencies when network
service tried to start/restart some network dependent services (like smb
when ip address or dhcp hostname changes).
 - 2nd stage of our installer is running as part of the boot process and
tries to start some services itself, but trying to start them will
block, before they are already in the queue for being started and
blocked by other services will be started once the installer has
finished its duties. There, I've also discovered the merge of actions in
the queue is not working at 100% : if you specify --ignore-dependencies
on a action which is already in the queue, it will be bumped on top, to
be processed but the options seems to be dropped (causing a deadlock).
But that's another story.

I was planning to handle this environment variable in our tools but
tools team would prefer to have it in systemctl. I guess I'll have to
maintain this patch downstream in openSUSE :(

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at suse.com>
SUSE