[systemd-devel] Forwarding early boot messages to rsyslog

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Jan 22 13:14:57 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Scott Shambarger
<scott-systemd at shambarger.net> wrote:
> I'm running Fedora 17 with rsyslog, but since I also need to also receive
> logs via UDP, I've updated rsyslog.service to include After=network.target
> (so the private network binding works).
>
> However, syslogs created before network.target aren't forwarded to rsyslog
> when it's started (rsyslog is configured by default to listen on
> /run/systemd/journal/syslog).
>
> Is there a way to flush the logs to rsyslog (retaining the original log
> source etc)?

That would need to happen from rsyslog's side, to pull everything out
where it stopped the last time.

> I'm guessing this would be useful even for regular rsyslog
> startups since logs created before it starts would be similarly missed?

Not sure, applications which want journal data should *retrieve* it
from the journal, not so much rely on any magic on the journal's side
to provide that.

Kay