[systemd-devel] Someone working on gui for multiseat?

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Fri Jan 25 03:39:08 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:39:46AM +0000, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Stef Bon at 23/01/13 10:28 did gyre and gimble:
> > what should the gui toolkit be? Gtk3? I prefer that over qt, which is
> > not my favorite.
> >
> > And is there a location to store the project? I can of course get one at
> > github or something like that, but maybe there is a better one?
>

> Safe to say that would be in alignment with Lennart's own general
> feelings! But ultimately it would be down to the author.
>
> Some might argue that using some kind of abstraction system might be
> beneficial here (i.e. something like libyui which can target Gtk, Qt or
> curses interfaces), but that would essentially mean your app will always
> be a kind of "standalone" tool - the benefit being it is "cross
> desktop", but the drawback being it won't be super nicely integrated
> with any of the desktops.
>
> So perhaps it would make sense to look at implementing the GUI as a
> component that will eventually be part of the GNOME systemsettings? i.e.
> make a bold statement about where it should live. If it proves to be
> useful and popular, then some KDE/Qt centric folks may port it to their
> system settings GUI too.

For gnome-control-center (3.7.x name being 'Settings' :P), best to check
beforehand where it would fit and how it should interact and so on.
There is an Wacom tablet thing in there. Ideally it should only be shown
when needed (e.g. when it finds hardware), etc. Only something in
Settings is not always enough, lately goal is providing the best
experience, not just making something work. E.g. if it can be automatic,
do it automatically. If it really needs something manual, maybe ask when
there the need to ask arises, etc.

For above and more, best to check beforehand. Assume that'll result in
some API that multiple DE can use.

--
Regards,
Olav