[systemd-devel] Someone working on gui for multiseat?

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 04:28:24 PST 2013

Defaults? No I don't think so. I think this is a discussion about
flexibility and let users decide what to do with these devices.

Right now in the 71-seat.rules :

# 'Plugable' USB hub, sound, network, graphics adapter
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2230", ATTR{idProduct}=="000[13]",
ENV{ID_AUTOSEAT}="1"

in my opinion it should be better:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", PROGRAM="test_autoseat ATTR{idVendor} ATTR{idProduct}",
RESULT="1", ENV{ID_AUTOSEAT}="1"

where this test_autoseat script does check vendor and product id's, and
tests the default set for this machine.

First this way the hardcoded setting of devices in the udev rules is a bit
clumsy. It's not that flexible. By using a script a simple textlist of
devices or small db is sufficient.  It's better updatable then a udev rule,
which should not be changed just when a device is released.

But that does count for a lot of devices, not only these.
When looking at for example at 95-keymap.rules, a lot of rules are made for
a specific device, running keymap with specific parameters. Isn't it better
to use an external textfile or db in combination with a specfic script for
this purpose??

Futher the test_autoseat can check the policy, which can override the
"default" behaviour for this device. This policy is settable by admins.

Stef