[systemd-devel] unused translations in git

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 25 12:20:35 PDT 2013

On Mon, 22.07.13 05:51, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> so it seems to me, we use gettext to translate the PolicyKit policy
> files, but we do not actually enable/ship them, as the po files are
> not added to po/LINGUAS.
>
> Admittedly, it's currently only a single translation (Polish), so I
> was wondering what the intention here is. Do we want systemd to be
> translated? If so, should we reach out to translator get a broader
> coverage of languages?

Well, I guess translation of the tools and PK policies is probably
inevitable. We should be careful though, for example, I'd rather not see
gettext being used within PID 1.

l10n isn't really something I personally care about too much, so we rely
on community patches to make this work. Patches welcome.

I am a bit afraid of eventually having to merge a large stream of
translation patches however. Would love to the use some platform like
Transifex for this, but given that they don't properly attribute their
git commits to the original authors (or has that changed now?) I am not
sure it would be a good idea as-is.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.